189 Independent

Independent visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. With this visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and entitled family members can be included in your application. This is a permanent visa and allows visa-holders to remain in Australia permanently with complete rights to the work.

Things to know before you apply

  • To obtain this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect from inside or outside Australia
  • You need an invitation to apply
  • Have experience in a designated profession on Australia's Skilled Occupations List
  • Have a skills valuation with the relevant authority for that profession
  • To be older than 18 and less than 50 years of age
  • Meet general Skilled Migration basic requirements and score at least 60 on the points test.
  • You can include your partner, dependent child and dependent relative in your visa application,

If you wish to immigrate to Australia, contact us for consultation and advice.


Keep updated

Receive the legislation changes to migration.